As I sit here typing ways to cope with COVID-19 I am overwhelmed with tears. For the first time in my life, I am afraid and without solution. I feel a sense of gloom as I continue to try to preserve some insight and encouragement for my clients. I am naturally a problem solver and I have made a good living due to my quick processing and ability to produce solutions to problems quickly. But this is one problem I can not fix. I feel like everything is out of my grasp. I feel the exact uncertainty that my clients feel and for the first time ever, I have no path to a definite solution. My temporary solution to me, my family and friends, and clients have been to simply BE.
I have also explored several calming strategies to assist me during this time to keep my mental health balanced and well.
1. Stick to or formulate a routine. Go to sleep and awake at a reasonable time.
2. Go outside. I would recommend outside of your house or take a neighborhood walk. Please maintain safety while going outside and avoid any large groups.
3. Find a way to move! Dust off those home videos and pop in those walking DVD's that helped you lose weight 10 years ago. Also YouTube has an array of dance videos to help you keep moving. Get the kids involved also!
4. Eat well and stay hydrated. I know it is cliche but it is time to eat healthier and well balanced meals. This boosts your immune system and reduces the chances of you battling depression or anxiety. Drinking plenty of water also helps with mental clarity and reduces over-eating. Learn how to cook a new healthy dish!
5. Lower expectations and spend more time with the members of the household. We all will benefit in practicing acceptance therapy right now. Spending time with our loved ones that are inside the home also gives us a sense of togetherness. Do not stress yourself about matters outside of the home and reduce focusing on the sense of doom that is being projected.
6. Take a social media and news time-out. Just unplug it and disconnect for a few days!
7. Practice mindfulness. Practice Yoga, do guided meditation, do a 10 minute breathing exercise. Stretch each morning.
8. Help Others. Explore ways that you can assist your community at this time.
9. Explore a hobby or complete a long-term project. Write that book you have been thinking about.
10. Reach out for help. Talk to your Therapist via telehealth and utilize the support of teachers for your child's e-learning. Do not be afraid to say that you do not understand and do not feel like a burden to those who have been placed in your life to assist you.
I hope these things help you in coping with the COVID-19 crisis. If you need help with #10, please give us a call today to schedule a confidential telehealth therapy session from the comforts of your home. We are here for you and we share in the uncertainty and grief that this virus has caused. This too shall pass and we will overcome this trying time. Lets just all remember that it is fine to simply BE as we go through the waves of confusion that this situation brings.